So, I sat down yesterday to write a post about the wonderful father's in my life and as always got side-tracked with day to day stuff; like nursing. I swear I am constantly feeding someone!
Anyway, I want to write a tribute first to the man that raised me; Pa. My dad is so incredible and I owe a lot of my good qualities to him.
1. Patience. He has taught me a lot about patience. He almost never lost his temper to us kids growing up and because of this, I think I do a much better job with not yelling at my children when they get in trouble. Thank you for teaching me how to parent without yelling and getting out of control.
2. Love. Pa has taught me how to love others unconditionally. He never gossips or judges others and he has been such a good example to me to love everyone for who they are and not to focus on their flaws.
3. Humor. My dad is really a funny guy. At first glance, you might not see this because he is so quiet, but he does get goofy and silly sometimes and it just makes you love him even more.
4. Faith. In a round-about way, my dad taught me a lot about faith. All growing up he was not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the faith that my mom and all us kids are. Every day I would pray that Pa would start coming to church or that he would read the Book of Mormon or that he would feel the spirit and soften his heart to the gospel of Jesus Christ. I always had faith that he would eventually come unto Christ, and the day after I was married, almost exactly 4 years ago, he was baptized. So, Dad, even though you didn't mean to teach me this one, I thank you for giving me the answer to my prayers and strengthening my testimony of prayer, faith, and the power of the Holy Ghost.
5. My dad has also taught me a lot of practical life information. I still remember our family home evening on interest and teaching us to start saving when we are young so that we can retire with a lot more money! I remember him teaching me how to change a tire and check my oil, how to properly paint a room, how to drive stick shift (still working on that skill though...) how to row a boat, how to fish, put up a tent, start a fire... the list goes on. He know how to fix practically anything and that amazes me.
6. How to make work fun. I just remembered a fond memory I have of when we were younger of smashing the tin cans for the recycling bin. My dad would use the can opener to take off the bottom of the cans and me siblings and I got to smash them so that they were ready for recycling.
Pa, I love you so much and I am so thankful for everything that you have taught me over the years. You continue to be a good example to me and I continue to learn valuable life lessons from you on a regular basis. I love you!
The top 5 ways to make your city feel like home
6 years ago

3 comments:
Very nice tribute. Let's see if he sees it!!! I love you. (That was probably our one and only FHE...) ;)
Luke looks like such a 'manly' baby in the first pic!
Thank you for that very kind tribute to me. Sometimes I feel that I did not do enough of what I should have done while I had the chance. But when I see the love that is shown to each of my children's children I know that our family is continuing to grow in truth, knowledge, love and understanding.
With all my heart
Love
Pa
Post a Comment