Wednesday, January 9, 2013

It's a new year

With the new year and everyone talking about their new year's resolutions, I started pondering mine. I remembered the goals I made last fall and thought I should go back to review and consider my progress. So here is my update on my goals and a few more that I have added.

1. Find time to read the scriptures! (This is a hard one or me. It's 11pm and I still haven't read them! yikes)
Okay, I have been better at this one, but definitely not where I'd like to be. I have started a tradition to read a verse or two with Luke and Sam at bed time and we have been doing really well at that. So, I do open the Book of Mormon at least once a day. I also will not read a book for pleasure until I read the scriptures, but I don't get a solid study in each day. I have renewed this goal for 2013. I have been trying to wake up earlier (before the boys) and read my scriptures first thing in the morning. I've been doing pretty good, but it is SO hard to get up!

2. Exercise every day. Go to the gym 3x/week.

Okay, I have actually slacked off worse than when I originally write this, I think! This fall/winter has been really bad for colds for me (I've had 4 colds this year) and I really got out of the habit of going to the gym. I am renewing this goal as well. I have tried to make everyday life more active. (Not complaining to have to go up and down the stairs one extra time, crawling and running with the boys and not being lazy about it, etc)

3. Go to the temple on ward temple night each month (Francisco and I are going to try a system where we trade off each month and every 3rd month, we find a babysitter and go together)

I don't think we made it to the temple for ward temple night any of the last few months. While it is a good idea and I still would like to try it, it just didn't work out. I think if I get Francisco in on it, it might work out better. Then we can remind each other, and make sure we are both free that night to make it happen. 

4. Decrease the amount of sugar in our diets. We eat too much sugar. I used to not think this was a very big deal because we eat a lot of healthy things too, but I think it  is too much and we need to figure out some alternative snacks that aren't so sugar-packed.

Despite Christmas, and Halloween treats, I think I have done okay with this goal. I have made an effort to buy "healthier" snacks. Luke now eats frozen go-gurts (called ice cream yogurt) instead of a scoop of ice cream. I rarely have fruit snacks and pop tarts now and when we do have them, the box lasts a lot longer! (They used to be staples in our kitchen). I buy less Nutella and oreos. So far, so good. I do think we can do better though! 

5. Increase the amount of beans/legumes that we eat. I've been working on this for a while and haven't had a lot of success. Just need to do it.

I have done better with this goal as well. I made a lentil gumbo that was so good and we eat quite a few black beans. I am trying to have one bean based meal a week. Beans are yummy!

6. Spend more quality time with my husband. Now that school is back in session for him, we need to make time for each other. I got really excited today about some of the silly dates I read about on thedatingdivas blog.

You know, we have done this, just not in the way I originally intended. We have not gone out on a lot of dates, but I do feel closer to him now than when I made this goal. So, goal completed I guess! Although, we should go on more dates too!

7. Make time for me. Whether it's to read a book, make some crafts, or try something new, I want to have hobbies that are for me, so that I don't lose myself in motherhood.

This goal I have done well at! I got to make a few crafts/decorations for the holidays (just finished a wreath for my door that is for the rest of the year), read a few books (or at least started to read a few books) and have really gotten into cooking. I got a new cookbook for Christmas (Our Best Bites) which has some really good recipes in it! and I have found it to be really satisfying to create a beautiful healthy meal for my family. (I haven't made Hamburger Helper in a really long time!)

8. Open up and let people get to know me better. I want to share my thoughts and opinions, my likes and dislikes. I tend to put up a wall and don't get to close to people, but I think that the more I open up, the deeper and more meaningful my relationships with others will become.

I have made a conscious effort with this goal. I have decided to tell more stories, show more emotion, try not to act so perfect. I do think this has made a difference in my relationships. I didn't do this all the time. Actually a lot of the time I forgot. but sometimes, I would remember and I would start talking. My sister in law actually mentioned that my voice didn't seem as "high-pitched" as it used to. I just realized I think it was because I was trying to be more "real" with my family. I don't know if that was the case or if she really had just gotten used to my voice, but maybe. I will continue practicing being "real".

As for my new goals:

9. I will dedicate at least 1 hour a week (on Tuesday) to reading a Continuing Education Unit eligible article for Dietetics. I am pretty far behind on my CEUs so I've got to start doing them if I want to keep my license. I've already read most of an article.

10. As previously mentioned, wake up everyday before the boys. I have my alarm set for 7:30 am which used to be about 30-45 minutes before the boys got up. Well, I have also made an effort to put the boys to bed earlier. Therefore, Sammy has been getting up earlier (but Luke has thankfully been getting more sleep). So now, Sam is waking me up at about 7 each morning, but I have been trying to read the scriptures while cuddling with him each morning. It isn't perfect, but it works.

Good luck to all of you who have made new and hopefully lasting goals for 2013!

-Emily

2 comments:

Karen K. said...

I'm impressed you wrote down your goals and blogged about them. That would probably BE my goal for the year!

The high-pitched voice comment is interesting. I didn't notice anything different but I'm used to your voice so who knows. Being 'real' is not easy. I need to work on this one too and probably all the others.

I love you. Good luck!

Francisco J. Darquea said...

Oh sweaty you are great example to me, you make me want to be a better man!
Those are some good goals! and I'll help you in the ones that can...
Love you, and don't forget that you are truly the BEST!