Okay, so for my lovely Anthropology class, I have to write a lovely 3 page paper about human actions. They forced us to read a selection of articles that included the extremes of both sides; people risking their lives for complete strangers (saving their lives for no reward, reason, etc) doing good for reason, to a piece on Auschwitz, the Jewish camp where they killed all the Jews for no reason at all.
Now here's where you come into play! My question for you is:
1. What motivates people to do evil things? What leads them to depravity? What makes them lose their morals/values of humanity? or did they ever have any to begin with?
2. How can people know about things like Auschwitz or Hotel Rwanda and not do anything about it?
3. what leads people to human self sacrificing? Why do people do good things w/ no motivation?
4. Can all people be capable of these things? Good or bad? Or is it learned? or innate?
I would really really appreciate your feedback, comments, answers as soon as possible! (I'm a little bit of a slacker and this is due Friday)
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
The top 5 ways to make your city feel like home
6 years ago
5 comments:
Oh Ema, you slacker! Ha :) I hope this is somewhat useful....
1. What motivates people to do evil things? What leads them to depravity? What makes them lose their morals/values of humanity? or did they ever have any to begin with?
Even if a kid has parents with lower morals, often that child will hold to higher morals, at least for a while. I think people become evil--I definitely don't think they're born that way--and I think they are often motivated to do evil things by other people. In the Holocaust example--many people were afraid to resist evil, because they could be the next victims, and so they became evil themselves for selfish reasons.
2. How can people know about things like Auschwitz or Hotel Rwanda and not do anything about it?
In the movie Hotel Rwanda, Americans would see what was happening on TV and say "How horrible!" and forget about it. While they felt horrified at what was happening, many people probably did not feel connected to the problem. Few of the people who could've helped had been to Rwanda and few knew people there, making it seem more like a horrible story than a real problem that needed attention. In addition, it's human nature to turn away and say "That's not my business, I'll leave them be." We don't like involving ourselves in conflict.
3. what leads people to human self sacrificing? Why do people do good things w/ no motivation?
I'm convinced that all people are born with the desire to be good and do good. Helping others for no reward is an instinct that I think is present in all people, but many people overcome the instinct with selfishness, fear, etc. When a person is truly content with his or herself, I think he or she is significantly more likely to try to help other people with no visible motivation, because these people are motivated by something deeper.
4. Can all people be capable of these things? Good or bad? Or is it learned? or innate?
I think all people are capable of good and bad things, but they way one goes is dependent on learned behaviors and perspectives.
PS--I don't really think you're a slacker. Just for the record.
Wow- intense subject! I hope I'm not too late to comment but I'll try to help:)
1) I think that people naturally come to life with sound morals. We learn to be immoral from society. I think that what leads people to do evil things is by starting off doing something very very small, thinking it's only one time...like maybe, lying. Then after a while of doing little things, they don't feel guilty anymore, and then they think it's fine. And then Satan has officially taken over their life and motivates them to do evil.
2) I think people hear about things like Auschwitz or Hotel Rwanda and don't do anything because they feel like someone else is doing it for them. People are scared, feel like they can't do anything to help, or feel like it's not their problem.
3)I think it's just like number 1, except opposite. Once people get in the habit of doing good things, it gets easier and easier and they do it all the time. These people are probably very close to Christ, and understand the real purpose of life. Possibly some motivation would be because they, themselves have gone through something horrible, and therefore have compassion for those in their previous state.
4)All people are capable of both amazingly good things, and horribly bad things. I believe it is learned. Inch by inch, we can get anywhere in life-whether it's good or bad!
So....I'm not a pro or anything, so all that jazz is just my silly opinion!!! Hope it helped!!! Good luck!
Well, I immediately thought of antisocial personality disorder but they don't really know how it starts. I do think that many children who don't get the maternal bonding they need end up being a personal and social mess!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisocial_personality_disorder
Alas, I am at work and cannot do your homework for you. Becky called last night and asked me a question that I later learned was HER homework question! Hmmm. Maybe this is my way of going back to school. I'll give it some more thought and hopefully get back to you.
Love ya!
Thanks guys! This had helped a lot!
Post a Comment