hey, so I just got out of my Anthro class, and i need more information for that paper...
I'm supposed to interview people and ask them what their ambitions are, what their concerns and pressures of life are and why. What are you trying to achieve superficially to become happy?
So, I guess I'm supposed to go deeper than just wanting happiness. How are you achieving that happiness? What are you doing? and what are your morals concerning this? Should you follow your own morals or should you keep up with the world's morals to fit in?
I'd really appreciate it if you'd comment more. I know it takes time and you don't have much, but if you could, that'd be fabulous! Thanks!
The top 5 ways to make your city feel like home
6 years ago
4 comments:
I think it's smart to use your blog for this.... Although I'd love more posts with cute pics of the Darqueas! And their baby blueprints. ;) That made me laugh :)
My husband is stellar, and he makes me so happy. He accepts me and loves me as I am, and is very dedicated to our relationship. He helps me draw closer to God and remember my own worth.
Right now I am also achieving happiness by working somewhere where I feel like I can make a difference in many people's lives. I work for the church doing research for the missionary department and the church history department, seeing what we can do to improve the missionary efforts and better educate members. I think it's so fulfilling because I am passionate about what I do and I want to give it the best I can. (Do the morals q's have to do with this?....the church is kinda ALL about morals, so I follow its standards and def not the worlds at work...I would feel extra guilty following the world's lower standards while working for the church...)
Also, I do associate some happiness with worldly stuff. For example, Shaun and I live in the Provo ghetto, in an ancient basement that floods, houses tons of bugs no matter how much we spray, and is just yucky. I am working 3 jobs this semester so we can save enough to move to the less-ghetto, because living somewhere so gross does change my happiness level. I know that sounds shallow, but...oh well. :) This is based on both my morals (or rather ideals?) and the world's...
(This is kinda a ramble...Sorry, I'm tired! I hope I actually answered what you asked... Looking back I'm wondering, but since I wrote it all I can't just hit delete! Let me know if I totally missed the point...)
Lanette, I don't know why we seem to feel guilty for wanting to have better but sometimes we do. As long as we're grateful for what we have there is nothing wrong with aspiring to live in a bug-free, floodless, attractive home! Tim and I have contemplated selling our home due to financial concerns and I can barely stand to think of it because it would mean 'settling' for something else. I am not "proud" of where I live--I am just at peace because it is in good repair, (relatively) clean and our own little haven. I often compare my wanting to live in something nice to the temple. The temple is always beautiful and clean and regularly renovated. I think it's just important to realize when we have 'enough', however, instead of just wanting more and more and more. Now, does THAT make sense? Oh, sorry Emily. I am talking to Lanette through your blog! Hmmm, now what was your question?
I'm not sure I was clear on the temple analogy. The church doesn't expect us to attend the temple and look past a leak in the ceiling. They work hard to make things up-to-date and modern. There isn't outdated orange shag carpeting left over from the 70's cuz they're trying to stretch the budget, or even cuz it's still perfectly good! Therefore, it's ok to want better. Isn't that the whole purpose of our life's testing here? Life with our Heavenly Father is supposed to be beyond what we can imagine. Appreciating beauty and wanting comfort is nothing to feel shallow about. I think it just gives us more to be grateful for. Sometimes I just sit in my living room and smile because I'm there and it feels good!
Hey Emily! This is just like when you interviewed me on the phone! Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Post a Comment